View Single Post
Old January 29, 2022   #9
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I've kept garden spreadsheets for over 20 years. I harvest each variety of tomatoes in a separate basket and then count and weigh each variety immediately after picking. The figures are filled into weekly columns by variety on the spreadsheet, and tallied to give a running total of the number and weight. Since the spreadsheet also lists the number of plants by variety, I am able to record the number & weight per plant as well. The totals of the weekly columns also let me see when each variety starts to ripen and the peak.

In 2021 my 30 plants yielded 1,968 tomatoes weighing 724 lbs with an average yield of 24.1 lbs per plant. Heidi and Kosovo led the pack with 28 and 27 lbs per plant respectively. My record was Rio Grande which totaled 32 lbs per plant is one year, but it is susceptible to diseases and so varies widely year by year.

The yield per variety changes each year depending on weather and diseases, but Kosovo is consistently number 1 or 2 in production, and also usually the earliest as well. It's size ranged from 10 to 15 ounces over the past six years at this site.

Since 90% of my tomatoes are used in canning, this yield data is useful in helping me narrow down the varieties that perform best in my soil and climate, and ranking new varieties against my favorites.
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote