Thread: Replant
View Single Post
Old March 15, 2023   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Tastiheart origin was from a bee made cross of Large Pink Bulgarian in Chuck Wyatt's tomato garden. I purchased seed in either 2002 or 2003 and grew 2 plants that matched Large Pink Bulgarian and a third plant that produced distinctly different fruit. I saved seed separately for the odd plant and grew them the next year. The result was 2 potato leaf plants with heart shaped fruit which I designated A and B. In future growouts, I eventually dropped the smaller fruited line and kept the large. I sent out seed for others to grow and Eyolf selected Heshpole from the offspring. If you have grown Heshpole, you will find Tastiheart very similar.

One other event shaped Tastiheart. In 2007, a hard freeze to 22 degrees on April 7th struck my plants hard. I did not anticpate temperatures that low and did not protect my plants adequately. About 1/4 of the Tastiheart plants survived the cold weather. I propagated from the cold tested plants so that today Tastiheart has some ability to tolerate low temperatures.

The picture of a sliced tomato with a bite taken out on my homepage is Tastiheart. The plate is a full size dinner plate and the slices are about 4.5 inches across. Yes, it was delicious!

http://www.selectedplants.com/garden...eartsliced.jpg

I checked seed and have about 300 from 2020. Germination was over 90% this year so they are viable. If you two will send me PM's with your address I will forward a small pack of seed.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote