View Single Post
Old September 16, 2023   #7
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

I've been wondering the same thing about Polish Elles vs. Polish (Ellis). I don't know the answer, but my assumption is that they're the same tomato. Those names are just too similar, and I've noticed a few other typos/misspellings/name inconsistencies on Sandhill's site. I've been tempted to write or email Sandhill to ask, but whenever I get set to do it, I read their explanations about how horribly busy they are and it might take you months to get an answer, and I think I just don't want to add to their burden.

I purchased Polish Elles seeds a few years ago from Sandhill and finally got around to growing one plant this year. It has been great! Fairly early compared to the other heirlooms I grew, and it has produced well and steadily all summer. The tomatoes are beautiful, well-shaped without much catfacing or cracking, and delicious -- lots of flavor, not bland at all. I recommend it highly.

I've grown Stump two years. I think it's delicious, but the plants were hit hard by foliage disease both years. Also, they didn't set any fruit at all in the hot part of the summer, and they didn't come back with a fall surge of production after things cooled down. Polish Elles has been much healthier and more productive for me. I like the idea of growing them the same year to compare; maybe I'll try that.

I'll be sending Polish Elles seed in to the big swap this fall, so watch for it if you participate in that swap.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote