View Single Post
Old January 18, 2024   #23
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I check in every day too.
I've wandered into the world of Hydroponics, starting with an Aerogarden "Harvest" (which is great for lettuces), then two more systems because I want to grow cukes and beans and maybe a micro tomato or two! Along the way, I found the Kratky system, and am using mason jars, just to get the feel of it before venturing into bigger containers.
I can't decide whether to start my veggie seeds in an Aerogarden this season or stick with the old grow lights in the basement. it's supposed to be a lot faster in the AG.......
I got an aerogarden and agree about the lettuce. Mine grows a basil, a cutting celery, lettuce, and other things get experimented with. I have not tried cucumbers inside.
I have not yet found a cherry tomato that was very tasty.

Regarding using it to start transplants, yes, it does work, but I didn't think it optimal. Timing can be tricky: while some plants in a pot can wait a couple of days if the weather is uncooperative, inside it might grow to the point you will shock it very badly by potting it up and setting it out in indirect sun.

I failed miserably with some flowers last year.

Tomatoes DO work well, and you can get a clone or two and still have the original as well. It's kinda cheating, but ONE seed of an expensive hybrid could be two or three in your garden.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk