View Single Post
Old December 30, 2007   #88
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Patrina, I have a few questions for you about the TSWV, if that's okay.

First, when you have cold weather, how cold does it typically get? If it's colder than normal, do you see any improvement when you set your plants out or is it pretty much the same amount of damage no matter what? And have you seen a significant increase in TSWV in the last three years?
Ohhh, sorry for taking so long to reply - been very very busy Um, it doesn't really get very cold here, no frosts, and I've only been growing 4 years approx and haven't noticed much change over that period. I didn't lose any plants in the front garden beds to TSWV, but they were planted early. I've already culled 5 plants out back that were planted out on 22 Nov. The main difference at this time is lots of hot weather, the thrips here LOVE it!

Oh, btw, I tossed a whole bunch of old CDs under my plants to reflect light up into the bushes to deter bugs and grubs. Those CDs are very silvery bright as you know, but the thrips crawled all over them - they always had thrips on them in fact, so I don't think shiny mulch is likely to deter them

Patrina