View Single Post
Old January 1, 2008   #33
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Why Buy Jung's Seeds?

At first glance $4.95 per order (up to $20), may seem like alot. However, I personally don't think it's out of line, all things considered. Others who know more than I about the cost involved for the seed houses have already spoken, and have explained it well.

As far as I'm concerned, if a company keeps the cost of seeds down around $2 or so per packet (for tomatoes and peppers), I can live with the trade off of paying $4.95 s/h.

Regarding Jung's specifically, their prices seem pretty fair. There is something I've wanted to buy out of the Burpee catalog for the past couple of years, but it was priced too high for my taste. This year Burpee's has it priced 2 plants for $17.75 not counting shipping. Jung's has the same plant 3/$12.95.
This year I'll finally be able to buy it thanks to Jungs. As long as it doesn't sell out beforehand.

My worry is that there may come a day smaller seed companies wont be able to stay in business for one reason or another. Perhaps it'll be cost-prohibitive or maybe some form of government regulation will cause them problems. Or maybe not enough of the video game generation will be as interested as they 'replace' us, causing some seed companies to close their greenhouses. So I'm just thankful we have places like Jung's.

One great thing also, is that alot of sharing goes on with trades, so in tight years we may not be able to afford to buy, we can always trade with the good folks here at TV. Plus, we can always save our own favorites and not have to buy anything. I know how it works though. We all enjoy buying a few new varieties out of the catalogs. Whether we end up using them or not.

Happy New Year...Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote