Thread: 85 mins ?
View Single Post
Old January 17, 2008   #4
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I've noticed the changes in tomato canning recommendations that have appeared over the last few years - notably the recommendation to acidify the tomatoes and the super-high boiling water bath canning times.

I suspect that a couple of issues are involved here. First, all of the recipes seem to have been standardized using the sort of commercially produced tomato that is commonly available in the grocery store. They are not as acidic as old-fashioned tomatoes are.

The new 85 minute recommendation for whole packed tomatoes seems to go hand in hand with the statement that they have included boiling water bath times but people really should use a pressure canner for tomatoes.

Why these changes? I don't know. But then I also do not understand (well I DO but. . . .) why all of the sudden the USDA would put forth their recent statement encouraging us to all stop eating corn either. Or why the FDA would allow the use of high fructose corn syrup in virtually every item you buy at the market.

As far as tomatoes go, nobody uses human fecal matter on my fields and I do not grow hybrids. I do check the pH on the tomatoes I'm canning, but other than that I am using and intend to stick to the timing given in my old book from 1970-some odd.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote