Thread: 85 mins ?
View Single Post
Old January 18, 2008   #10
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully View Post
Thanks for your input Granny and Craig and M.

I'm gonna stick to the 45min mark..my buddy Wilbur and his wife have stopped canning over this. They said after 85mins a whole bunch of the juice had boiled away and seeped out the top. he showed me the jars, they looked 1/2 to 3/4 full with tendrils of the tomatoes hanging down from the seal..not very appetizing.

They put a lot of stock into the Ball name and feel that there must be a reason for the change..too bad

bully
It is too bad that your friend had such a bad experience with that 85 minute business. Truthfully, I'm a little surprised the jars did not explode on him. Ball and Kerr canning jars both were sold to a Canadian company a few years back and they do not do their own R&D re home canning anymore. One of my daughters got me the Ball Book of Canning and Preserving last year and I was sorely disappointed. Everything was full of corn syrup and used Clearjel or some other "special" product. Thank goodness eBay had a couple of my favorite old books from the 70's & 80's so I could replace a few lost recipes.

Any "current" recommendations come courtesy of the USDA. Those used to be developed at the various state university school's of home economics but that field mostly no longer exists. Who is doing them, I do not know, but given this and a couple of other oddities, I want to see the primary research these days before I change things quite so dramatically.

As I said above, even the explanation that bcday found above makes absolutely no sense. If you still can whole tomatoes in their own juice for 45 minutes, then why on earth would you can "no added liquid" tomatoes for nearly twice that? Especially given that anyone who has ever actually canned tomatoes knows that "in their own juice" means that you smush them into the jar tight enough to release enough juice to come to the prescribed height in the jar and that you cannot can tomatoes without filling the spaces between the tomatoes with some kind of liquid.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote