View Single Post
Old January 19, 2008   #1
bully
Tomatovillian™

Default Low Acid Recipes

I understand how important it is to follow directions and recipes when you are using a "Boiling Water Canner"

But what about when using a "Steam Pressure Canner"?

is following the recipe to the "t" as vital?

I'm talking about ingredients and not altering cooking times or weighted gages

I'm looking in my Ball Blue book and I see everything from stew meat to squirrel ( )

The stew meat i just canned today had no vinegar, lemon juice or citric acid added. Just stew meat.
I followed the recipe to the letter.

next I want to can chicken soup, my 7 year old takes a thermos to school for lunch almost every day.
Progresso I believe ..I tasted it the other day and frankly..it's crap.
I plan on making the chicken soup found in the blue book.
I'll start with homemade stock.

It's a simple recipe
4qts chicken stock
3 cups chicken (seems a bit skimpy)
1 1/2 cups diced celery
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup diced onion

I still have leeks in the garden, can I use those?
can i add more chicken? the last thing i want to do is poison my kid for crying out loud.

Are recipes like this and say ...the one for meat sauce for spaghetti in the book because this how you have to do it or are they there because someone may not know how to make chicken soup or spaghetti sauce.

Now I know these were tested and I honestly don't expect Ball to print every possible variation of a recipe...meat sauce alone would be as big as a phone book.

But I would like to can my mothers spaghetti sauce.
I have made the Ball's and it was so so.
I do note that the Ball's has 2 tlb vinegar (oddly the squirrel has none) I would be willing to add this to my Mom's when making the same volume if it were necessary for PH reasons.

What are your thoughts?
bully is offline   Reply With Quote