View Single Post
Old January 25, 2008   #46
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylark View Post
The first and only time I met her, since she is local to me, I thought...oh great, someone to talk about heirloom tomatoes with. I told her I grew some of the tomatoes that she had displayed on her plate, like Big Rainbow and Stripped Cavern. She said they were different varieties and spouted off some other names. I haven't seen anything else other then Stripped Caverns called Stripped Caverns. After that she then snubbed me off and chased someone else down. I wasn't impressed.
I did visit her site and looked through things fairly well. I recognized a number of things that she was advertising as "
"Only US Source" or "Very Rare" from other sites, sometimes more than one other site. I also noticed that while those other sites were offering dozens or hundreds of seeds of the variety in question, at Amishland you get 5 or 10 seeds tops - often for more money.

I also noticed a substantial number of varieties where she commented "very similar to" or "often mistaken for" but then stated that these were "completely different varieties."

Left me with lots and lots of questions for sure.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote