View Single Post
Old January 26, 2008   #2
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Has anyone started these from seed? I'm wondering how easy or difficult it might be. Also if these tiny strawberries grow well in high heat and humidity. Thanks for any info you may have.
I started these from seed last year. The seeds are almost invisible - you about need a microscope to see them. The seedlings are not much bigger. The germination rate was fine, but they ended up a leggy mess. Eventually I pitched the entire mess out into the herb garden.

Judging from the name, I would expect that they do not like high heat - even in high summer it isn't all that hot in the Alps. And I was looking at another alpine plant over at Growitalian.com this morning (edelweiss) where they especially noted that it likes things a bit dry.

Growitalian does have several varieties of alpine/European woodlands strawberries though. Might be worth looking at. The seeds that my daughter got last year came from Thompson & Morgan and I have to tell you that I am only moderately more "impressed" with their stuff than I was with the stuff off the rack at Walmart, none of which germinated. I did not order from T&M this year and can't see any circumstances where I would again.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote