View Single Post
Old January 27, 2008   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Felpec. I saw Alexandria in my on line searches. I'm still not sure I have any business growing these things. Part of me thinks it's a mistake in this heat and again in terra cotta pots. They'd only be hotter and drier in those. Most of my back yard is pool and concrete patio. I have a small area for my garden, which is at last half full of tomatoes, of course. I have a shady area in back that we use as the play area for the kids. My children would destroy any plants back there anyway. I could really only do these as container plants. That's why I asked about yours being in ground. I'm sure that helps keep them from drying out totally. I'm wondering what will happen if we go camping for a few days and nobody is around to water the little strawberries. On the other hand, I'm really attracted to the tiny little berries because we can't buy them in the store. My daughter won't touch a berry with a ten foot pole but they're my son's favorite. My other option is to grow just a few in a sort of clump in a half whiskey barrel and then they'd have a lot more moist soil to rely on. Oh, what to do, what to do...