Thread: Green 'n Gold
View Single Post
Old January 31, 2008   #5
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Yesteryear because 25 years is to some younger folks just that. I am beginning a series of my own notes relating to my work of yesteryear (so to speak) and I am submitting a rough outline of my words in quotes with additional quotes as the source of my notes.

Quote:
People ask me all the time, "Where can I find your tomato creations?" I talked with Ken Ettlinger of the Long Island Seed Project (LISP) the other day and he reminded me that he obtained seed from me years ago from my Tater-Mater Seed catalog and that was from the days of 1983 to 1986. I forget who got seed from me in those days and I have so many varieties floating around in the seed industry that even I loose track of them.

Case in point is the "Green 'n Gold" tomato variety that originated out of my Dwarf Green Flesh Mix. I probably had a name for this one but Ken gave it his name. That is fine with me. I ran across the name Green 'n Gold before but didn't think that it was one of my creations. After talking with Ken, I went to his website to read this blurb:

Quote:
The green (inside) and gold (outside) is, I suspect, a sister line of Green Zebra, produced from a mixture of dwarf green fleshed tomatoes that I obtained from Tater Mater Seeds many years ago. I called it "Green 'n Gold" when USDA strongly suggested that I place the names of every cultivar that I included in the packet of my "Dwarf Campion Tomato Blend" (as well as every other seed blend that I marketed).
No, Ken, it is not a sister line of Green Zebra, but is more closely related to a tomato called Lime Green Salad that I sent to Tim Peters of Peters Seed Research in Oregon.(Tim renamed this too) I may not even have the Green 'n Gold in my collection as viable seed anymore, so my hat is off to Ken for maintaining it.
Ken has an experimental use of seed at his site, so that may be a reason for a lack of wide-spread dispersal of the "Green 'n Gold" within the larger community.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote