View Single Post
Old February 3, 2008   #29
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

No, it's me who thanks you Tom.

So, you can pick berries when still firm and they'll continue to ripen. I've always been nervous about harvesting tomatoes for seed before they are good and ripe on the vine so I was concerned about harvesting the potato berry too ealy. I suppose that in fact you could harvest a tomato for seed any time after the chlorophyll drains from the fruit. At least, that's what looks like is happening as it begins its final maturation!

I'm keen to try growing potatoes from seed so when I found some potatoes growing at my new place which had berries I picked a handful. All but two went very dark and hard. Of the remaining two, one had seeds, the other didn't. I squeezed out the seeds and left them to dry. Then I found this thread. Of course, too late to undo what I'd done but I think I'll keep the seeds anyway and sow them next spring and see what happens.
I'll copy this thread and pare it down to the seed saving and sowing instructions. Many thanks.

Another question please.
Do you emasculate blossoms you want to use as mother? If so, do you do it at a stage equivalent to when you would do it for tomato blossom?

Last edited by Raymondo; February 3, 2008 at 06:44 AM.
Raymondo is offline   Reply With Quote