View Single Post
Old February 6, 2008   #29
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
I'm thinking the word 'scam' isn't appropriate for what Carole is attempting to do. I don't get the impression she's trying to rip anyone off.
Please note that I did not specifically say that she was trying to rip anyone off. What I said was that there are certain, well-defined (long since) hallmarks of an internet scam and that Carole's site fits the bill to a T. It is not for me to judge her heart - only her website. Many (or maybe even most) websites that are known to be scam sites are very "nice" - that is the stock in trade, to trick people into believing that the site owners are on the up and up.
Quote:
Maybe the not-for-profit route is a smart way to eke out a good living.
Maybe it is. I am reminded of the woman who was head of the American Red Cross on 911, the same American Red Cross that went to great lengths to scam off more than half of the funds donated by people specifically to the victims of 911 for other Red Cross projects. At the time, she was making a cool half-million bucks a year ($450K to be exact), more than the President of the United States. Her previous job? Working for the Public Health Service, who pays their top docs something on the order of $150K. Meanwhile, most of the "real work" that the public donates money to the Red Cross to support is done by volunteers.

To me, those in charge of a "charity" should not be allowed to make a gravy train out of it. Something is drastically wrong when 80 or 90% of the funds a "charity" receives go to salaries, etc.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote