View Single Post
Old February 16, 2008   #32
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

I find it curious, the need to defend William Woys Weaver and his work (and note again please, critique of the latter does not imply critique of the former). In a world that has built formidable industries out of reviewing theater, film, restaurants and books, why this 'sacred cow'? I don't believe that anyone here is being malicious (with the exception of that one posting which was deleted, although NOT at my request, thus leaving my last posting rather dangling).

Case in point: If new material remains of a dinosaur/neolithic grave/Late Terminal Woodland midden are found, you can bet your last dollar that much commentary and many interpretations, some conflicting, will result. The niceness of the persons involved is irrelevant; the pursuit of truth is paramount.

I will say that my introduction to W3's work, to which I referred earlier, had nothing to do with tomatoes. The historian in question lined up the references cited in W3's book and asked me if I would or could draw the same conclusions. My introduction was blunt to say the least, and preceded meeting Carolyn and co. by many years. I respect Tom's and others' differing opinions and appreciate Tom's posts particularly. I reserve my democratic right to ask politely after the veracity of William Woys Weaver's work.

And Gere, this is an international forum, graciously hosted as it happens by a person from the USA. Please note that if you wish us to work as 'friends, Americans, and researchers', then my only choice is to act as a researcher, not having have the pleasure of being introduced to you as yet.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Last edited by cdntomato; February 16, 2008 at 09:36 AM.
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote