View Single Post
Old February 20, 2008   #9
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Jerry, Earl, SuTootaloo, and everyone else,
It was such fun meeting you guys and being overwhelmed by all the enthusiasm at the tastetest last fall. We are really looking forward to seeing you guys and swapping with you. While we were taking stock of our seeds we found that somehow we got away without any Berkely Tie-dye seeds, so here is a special request for anybody to please save us a plant if possible. Amy and I are going to post our list soon. We are growing 78 varieties.

We learned from our Bacterial spot fiasco last year the importance of sterilizing your seed when swapping. I posted an article I wrote with the help of a very good UK plant pathologist Kenny Seebold at http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...near#post72967 which is in We're Here for the Tomatoes/Starting from Seed/Seed Saving Problem. Amy and I have been doing fermentation in the fall, and bleach treating just before we plant, which will cover 99% of diseases. With seeds we have not saved ourselves or bought through catalogs, we are adding the third step of heat treating to prevent diseases which penetrate the seed coat, like Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

We have fired up our waterbeds in our greenhouse and have Oregon Spring up. We are shooting for May ripe tomatoes, outside! Wish us luck!
Toe