View Single Post
Old March 2, 2008   #7
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Randy, I'll apologize in advance because this may not help you too much. The two sweetest peppers I have grown both have a bit of heat in them. The first would be Jimmy Nardello's... which I guess could be classified as an Italian type frying pepper. They are long, skinny, occasionaly twisted in funky shapes and sometimes have a tiny tiny amount of heat in them. Real good OP'ed variety that bears well in a variety of growing conditions. Here in Minnesota they have always produced abundantly and keep on going til frost.

The other one is a Turkish cayenne called Aci Sivri. This is a real fun variety to grow. Fruits can get over a foot long once in a while but the majority are between 9 and 11". They are quick to mature and usually one of my first varieties harvested. The heat issue with these is usually tamed by removing the ribs. Have found that heat varies from fruit to fruit on one plant. One will have virtually no detectable heat while one picked from another node over is noticeably hot. The sweetness is always present though....could almost be described as sugary regardless of heat. One of my top 5 favorite peppers.

I unfortunately haven't grown any pimento or cheese types yet, BUT that will change when I start sowing my pepper seeds next weekend. Think I have 4 varieties I'm going to try out. Can't wait to sample some of these in a few months! Good luck and have fun!
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote