View Single Post
Old March 13, 2008   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
I got a little more info out of him. He still hasn't answered my fertilizer question.

"I dont recaqll dwarf or indeterminate. It did gro about 36 " long vine legs...

Soil?.... plain ditrt on the bottom, some rocks on the borrom of course.... and some general potting soil on the top.

It was a so so producer, but that also could be becaue I didnt water it as much as it should. I do recall water flowing thru too easily. Maybe because I only used a gallon jug... It also wasnt in the best of positions for sunlight

Yet despite all that it did well.
"
Don't want to take this thread too far OT, but can't resist making a general comment about putting rocks or pot shards in the bottom of a container. It's a gardening myth and really doesn't help drainage at all. Doing so affects the 'perched water table'. Some folks do it to add weight to containers so they don't tip, which makes sense. But it does not help with drainage and can even hinder it. But maybe in the case of a one gallon container, hindering drainage would be a good thing.

Back on-topic: The 36" indicates to me he was either growing some sort of compact variety, or that the plant was not getting what it needed in terms of nutrients. Nothing wrong with experimenting a little and seeing what works and what doesn't. Sometimes that is the best way to learn. If I were trying something like this, I suppose I would fertilize with a very dilute solution every (or every other) time I watered the plant.

But a one gallon container isn't something I would recommend as a standard/best practice if someone wants to get good results.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote