View Single Post
Old March 18, 2008   #46
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I've certainly thought of that too and the concerns it brings. I didn't want to try anything that I couldn't correct, so my plan is to watch them and if I see trouble, then drill out at the bottom for full drainage.

I'm supposing even if I had a full 4" reservoir and filled it, that it would wick up pretty fast and there would likely not be many days that the container would have standing water in the bottom few inches. I may even try a clear container to help monitor this.

Remember, a lot of this is the old nursery bug coming out in me. I had a container nursery for a good while and have grown thousands of plants and trees in containers up to 45 gallons. The only thing I'm doing different is not having (at least in the beginning till I see how it works under actual growing conditions) drain holes in the bottom. And I realize that nursery containers have drains in the bottom for a reason. But then you see people buying containers and setting them in a water pan and by having the holes in the bottom of the container the water can get to the soil mix and truly water from the bottom up.

Another part of my plan is the automatic watering system. The old kind with a timer and the whole contraption attached to the water hydrant. The EB's originated from a need to keep more consistent moisture to the plants, and also to not have to hand water as often. Even with drain holes in the bottom, the automatic irrigation (main line with spaghetti drip lines and .5 - 1 g emitters) should handle it.

Anyway, seems good in theory. We'll see. In the meantime I have 21 raised beds, 4 X 12, and ready to plant. My plant date will probably not be until the third week in April. I'll have them in smaller containers inside until then. I've learned the hard way about that mid April blast we usually get. My plants don't mind at all having those extra few days inside at night.

Thanks Raybo! I saw your pictures in the other thread. Great looking containers! You should get a double bumper crop this year!

Don