View Single Post
Old April 7, 2008   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Harley,

I would dig the holes and get rid of the clay, you can use it to make a water saucer around the plants about 3feet in diameter.

Then fill in the hole including the water saucer with hardwood equal parts partially decomposed mulch, sandy loam and compost.
You can then fertilize with an organic fertilizer of your choice.

We have a product called ladybug here in Texas that seems to work good.

As for productivity that is going to be up to you to decide.

Many cultivators mentioned here are just not that productive, I don't care where you live.

Sure you will here all of the praises for many kinds but the plants will only put out a small amount of fruit as they don't even put out that many blossoms to begin with.

Don't pay any mind to the blurbs you read in the seed advertisements like, "simply loaded with 2 pound tomatoes".

Be careful what you read on this site as the growing conditions and opinions are many, including mine.

Case in point,

I asked about Ceylon a while back and the answers i got were not good.

I was told that it was a scraggly non blooming plant with few tomatoes produced.

Mine are just loaded with blooms and young tomatoes.
It was grown in my climate and my way of growing so there you see what I mean.

I can tell you that Break O' Day and Zogola have proven to be outstanding in bloom production along with many others.

So far brandywine and stump of the world are losers in my book.(we shall see)

I would suggest you plant a few types and see for yourself what does good for you.

Remember for productivity in a hot climate you cant go wrong with a determinate for lots of good tomatoes.

Then of course there are the small fruited cherry type tomatoes that just keep on keeping on.

Riesintraube is one here that never gets enough attention as far as I am concerned.
It puts out 30 or 40 blossoms on a truss and they have big old time tomato taste.

Ashleigh is doing very good here also, I was told to try it and I'm glad I did it is a much better producer here in the south than brandywine.
We shall see what the tomatoes are like.

Cherokee purple and or Carbon are doing good for me.
As far as I am concerned and a few others there is no difference between the two.
I feel they may be the same or close to it.

With a limited space you need to think about what you are growing and go with what does good in your climate.

Don't get hooked into a plant that has more hype than fruit.

I hope this helped.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote