Thread: Going Organic
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2013   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Welcome! Here are my tips for you.

#1 You don't need to buy a lot of expensive "stuff" to garden organically.

#2 Not everything natural is chemical free. Items such as box store compost, free manure and straw can be very highly contaminated.

#3 If your soil has been hit with a lot of chemicals over the years, expect the first year to be rough as you rebuild it.

#4 The soil, it is the key. Very healthy soil leads to stronger plants that are less prone to disease and pests.

#5 Organic growers that do daily garden walk throughs will find stuff before it gets out of hand.

#6 You don't need organic stuff in a bottle to replace non-organic stuff in a bottle. Other things like row cover to prevent squash beetles. Inter-planting. Your own compost etc can do wonders.

#7 Start a compost pile, in addition to the worms. You'll want both as the worms will take awhile to get started and the compost...it is like gold.

#8. Its worth it. You will encounter many many many many many naysayers out there that will preach to you that stuff is not more nutritious or doesn't taste better or productivity is worse or its not reeeeeeeeeally organic because of x, y, z. Blow them off. YOU know that YOU are significantly improving the health of your soil, the nutritious value of your plants and your overall healthy by significantly decreasing your chemical exposures.

#9 Know that there are many of us out there that have been doing this a long time that will help you.

#10 Don't get discouraged if something not organic ends up in the garden. Going Organic'ish is still a great improvement.

#11 Box stores typically have little that is of organic value. Have fun scoping out local nurseries that may do better.

I use Neptunes Fish and Seaweed but others will weigh in with their favorites I'm sure. The leaf matter is an awesome start!

Stacy
So true!
And, manure, its the best! Plus, fish emulsion, kelp and bat guano! Well, I guess bat guano counts as manure,lol.
I also love alfalfa pellets from the feed store. The horse cubes come with molasses to hold them together, an added bonus. Soak in water until soft, add a handful to each plant.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote