View Single Post
Old January 26, 2018   #20
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default I require expert help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If it's only ONE large fruit on a truss, and it looks like the other small ones as to color, etc, I would assume it was the result of a somatic mutation,those are permanent and heritable, as opposed to seed mutations, so let it ripen up at least 1/2 to 3/4 up towards the stem end, and then save those seeds and process them.

Carolyn
Carolyn >>I have a problem that I require an experts advice ...I am very suspicious of what is happening over here re these Tasty Toms.....

Now can I ask you ...if a tomato fruit has a certain characteristic does its TRUE off spring retain this..

You see all Tasty Toms fruit from previous seasons had a point like a Pixies Hat on them...That is how I identified them ..This point is very visible through their life cycle ...from the time the fruit first appear til they ripen...I will try and find a photo and post it to show what I mean....Now my friend and myself have purchased plants as Tasty Toms and the fruit do not have the distinctive point but are smoothly round..these do not have the taste we both associate with Tasty Toms...

Now I have plants with fruit with the point and also smooth with no point and clearly the fruit with the point are true Tasty Toms and have the acidic taste...You may have seen Campari ...The Campari I have grown over here have the same point on them as Tasty toms have...

Can I rely on this characteristic of the fruit in telling me...Yes this plant is a genuine Tasty Tom...Hopefully the answer is Yes....

I will put a photo up in an edit soon...Its just the same as a previous photo but with a caption on it..

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pixie Hat_2018-01-27_112825.jpg (49.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; January 26, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote