View Single Post
Old February 27, 2018   #75
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Wow, 23,000 new posts since my last login.

Lots of interesting pepper varieties in this thread. I had to share my list for 2018, especially after seeing so many people growing my favorite Aji Amarillo!

Sweet:
-Doe Hill (SESE)
-Paradicsom Alaku Saga Szentes (Baker Creek)
-Antohi Romanian (Johnny's Seeds)
-Habanada (Baker Creek)

Hot:
-Aji Amarillo (Trade Winds Fruit)
-Aji Chinchi Amarillo (SESE)
-Tams Mild Jalapeno (Baker Creek)
-Joe's Long Cayenne (Johnny's Seeds)
-Thai "Ambassador" (Saved seed, likely misnamed, tiny and potent)
-Caballo (Baker Creek, Rocoto multicolor)

Savory:
-Trinidad Perfume (Plant from nctomatoman years ago, still growing true)
-Datil Sweet (Trade Winds Fruit, these can turn hot)

Aji Amarillo plants get huge, and the peppers can reach 6"+ long easily. But they are an extremely long season plant, and I have yet to get fully-ripe orange peppers, more like green-orange. Which is why I have high expectations for the Aji Chinchi Amarillo. Hopefully, their small size will mean earlier ripening.

I had several dozen pepper plants 2-3 years old that were overwintering in the greenhouse, but we had some freak cold weather this year with lows in the single digits, and even in the greenhouse with additional covering and insulation, they had no chance.

This is my first year growing Habanada. I hope it lives up to the hype. If so, it will be the base for several gallons of lacto-fermented hot sauce.

The attached photo is as (un)ripe as the standard Amarillo usually gets for me in central NC. Still delicious, but I want to see some orange.I'm going to try overwintering plants again for an earlier start in 2019.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amarillo.jpg (140.4 KB, 91 views)
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote