View Single Post
Old June 6, 2016   #4
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Well I know I am going to upset some people but I have to purchase from China..I have no other choice...Unless I hop on a plane to America and bring it back with me....

So what now..well there are some great You Tube videos by a guy named Robyn Perry...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpF2UL71bMM
and one can find out how to splice the cable etc....I searched Youtube several times and never came across any videos on the subject so I do not know what I was doing wrong..

Having found these videos my attention is now focused on the warmer cable itself ...I have made some enquiries via Alibaba?? and have some emailed replies that I am working through and some have attachments on prices etc....BUT they have so many different types of cable I am all confused ..I wonder if the seller will put me right ? Also on one email is the warning the cable should not be cut ..well thats not much use....I can understand the safety factor but I am sure if one adheres to the information in the videos there will not be a problem.....

There is still a question that I would like to know from somebody who has experience with these cables....Of course I have taken particular notice of the complete cables out in the market place and it has occurred to me that there could be a safe and inexpensive way to join warmer cable.....but not the warmer cable itself..
for example I know the cables have a non warming cable at their start and this has a power plug and thermostat on it and it is then spliced into the warming cable ...shown in one of the videos ...The end is normally sealed off BUT what if one spliced a piece of non warming cable on the end and attached a normal female connector to it...then a second cable could have a non warming cable spliced onto it with a male connector on it and at the end splice another piece of non warming cable with a female connector and repeat the process and seal the final cable end....

Now I will repeat that none of the cable connectors will be in the soil ..only the warming cable and I would ensure that no electricity will be in contact with soil etc......

Tomorrow I will cut a cover for my freezer for a double Ceramic heat bulb experiment ...The cover will keep most of the heat around the drums in the freezer and help heat loss...or will it...I can only try it and see what happens...I have beautiful tomato plants in the other freezer ..better than anything I have grown and its approaching the middle of winter ... ?? But they need transplanting for more space...

Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DRUMSA.jpg (144.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DRUMSB.jpg (320.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; June 6, 2016 at 02:13 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote