View Single Post
Old August 29, 2016   #23
svalli
Tomatovillian™

That is great looking harvest Henry!

I lifted all my garlic in beginning of August. I had planted the ones started this spring in the rootrainers in the holes in my garlic bed, where the fall planted ones did not grow. This caused that it was hard to see how they did compared to the fall planted ones. Eventually I was able to tell them apart from the shape of the roots and from the potting mix with coir and perlite, which was still attached to the roots of the ones started in the rootrainers. I would say that in average the spring planted garlic of same variety grew as well as the fall planted ones, but the biggest heads were produced by the fall planted cloves.

In my city garden the garlic did not grow so well. This spring before planting the pre-sprouted garlic I amended the soil with compost from the bottom of my compost bin. I forgot that I had put all the garlic and onion stems in the compost pile previous fall. The stems had onion maggots, which then must have dug deeper into the compost to pupate. By using the compost I planted the onion flies directly to the garlic bed and it caused a disaster. The garlic started to grow well, but begun to wither in mid July. I had to lift them early and peel the bulb skins away to get any maggots, which were already between the cloves.

This year I packed all garlic stems into a plastic bag, which I shut tightly and will let freeze trough when the winter arrives. Next season I will not plant any garlic or onions in my city garden and also my country side garlic and onion beds will be relocated to an other field. I have learned a valuable lesson via my own stupid actions.

Sari