View Single Post
Old March 10, 2016   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
I guess to follow up.
When I ran the garden center, we used to sell over 50 heirloom tomato varieties. It was a nightmare. Never could nail down what people would want or how many. Keeping them organized was a pain. We pressured ourselves to do this to be THE place to get plants of all kinds.
The guy who brought them was also a pain to show up with product.
So we dumped the idea after some years. We still sold about a dozen or so heirlooms types that we could get from our larger growers. They sold just fine and people were happy. Nobody complained about selection because we still had a tremendous overall tomato, pepper and herb selection.
For the occasional grumpadump, we politely told them to order seeds of what they were looking for if they couldn't find something anywhere and that we could coach them through the process and supply them with stuff for seed starting.
In the end we made our life easier, sales rolled on, quality remained high, and customers were happy.
And Gerardo, I am not saying what you are doing is a bad idea. I admire your endeavor, and can't wait to follow along on how things are going. My brain keeps me from going the 40+ variety route, but I think everyone's situation is different.

I watched one of those disaster bar or restaurant shows and one of the problems was they had too many choices of beer and alcohol.
It was costing them money to have to much stock and not enough turnover.
This is also the reason Places like Home Depot stopped selling higher end garden tools.
Not enough people would buy them and bought the cheap stuff.
Yesterday I read an article that had chefs comments on the most over rated and under rated cuts of meat.
I very large portion of them said the most over rated cut of meat was the Fillet Mignon.
Many of them said the chuck was the more flavorful cut.
I totally agree if they were the same price I would still by the chuck over the fillet.

I guess what I am trying to say is it is a fine line between what the chef knows is good and what the public's perception is good.
Shows like the Food Network and so on have done a tremendous job of educating people about different foods.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote