View Single Post
Old August 24, 2016   #36
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
This definitely depends on where your market is. I live in a north Dallas suburb and our local market prices are much higher than that, and higher than the downtown Dallas large farmer's market. Also, those vendors selling heirlooms charge a premium and those are the first ones sold every time. Our best heirloom seller quit the market and now sells directly to high end restaurants that will take whatever he produces at high prices because they know their high end customers will pay a premium for local, unique produce.

Dewayne mater
You live in N. Dallas, N. N. Dallas, or N. N. N. Dallas? (I consider Plano - N. Dallas) I think N. Dallas has changed every 5 years. Deion Sanders has a helluva an estate on prime time real estate, every time I drive by prime time's local, I always spurt out, "who lives there" Just saw where they opened the Star (cowboy training fac.) in Frisco today.

I know a couple of ppl who cater to high end eateries. I think it is worth mention, that they take "grow orders" at the beginning of the season too. This might include okra (which has zero shelf life) and other species. The guy I know in jersey, caters to NY, NY and Bawston makes 80K a year (which isn't much in that area, he borrows $$ each year and pays off at end of year), but does afford him enough to live love of life. He also lives/supports a vietanmese family that helps work the fields (big operation - farm labor wages and avail is threatening many farms). Of course, he gets a free meal at several 5 star joints anytime he wants, but not getting $$rich$$ anytime soon.

Locally there is an upsurge of eateries (I can't spell the "r" word) who use only local and proudly display on their menu. It goes from meat to produce. However, these operations are well established and mid-massive. A tough market for a backyard gardener to stick their foot in. Too many middle men in the grocery bidness, and most produce doesn't travel well.........

The relationships are a beautiful thing too. Growing for your market makes cents, spec housing and produce is a dicey prop. Have it sold with destination before pluck. IMO

Last edited by My Foot Smells; August 24, 2016 at 09:21 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote