View Single Post
Old January 15, 2017   #36
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Well, okay pepper sauce guru then. But you have to start that sauce from somewhere.

I finally found a commercial sauce that is low enough in sodium that I can eat and cheap enough to risk trying. Its a Taco Bell red sauce. Not much flavor besides vinegar and a faint ketchup undertone but at $1.29 a bottle it is a treat. I haven't had any commercial salsa or taco sauce in 8+ years. My growing partner warned me that the non-bell peppers I planted were too hot for even himself and his family that likes spicy food.

- Lisa
I have been making my own pepper sauce for years and some of the hot peppers definitely are too hot for us. A few years back I tried a pepper called Pappadew and had the best tasting hot sauce ever and it was very mild. In fact it is now the main ingredient to all my hot sauce except vinegar sauce for greens. Every year depending upon the weather I will add or not add some hot peppers to my mix when making my sauce depending on how hot my Pappadews are that year. I have never had them get hot enough to be called hot but they sometimes will have a slight bite to them in a very hot dry year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote