View Single Post
Old December 9, 2017   #141
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Your plants look nice.
Hi...Thanks ..But which ones ...This is what I am trying to determine ...My new "GREEN" ones or my home grown ones....If you think my new ones look nice does that mean mine are surely severly lacking in something which I presume is nitrogen ...I will check up with the growers but they told me they were grown in their Tomato mix and no fertilizer was applied (and she admitted they had not been watered recently?)...Do you agree with my thoughts that their Tomato mix must be biased heavily on the nitrogen side...and maybe I should rush out and get some and mix it in round my own plants......I will discuss this with them tomorrow one of the plus's of buying from the grower and not a garden centre...

Its looking like my changing wicks has back fired on me ...I see no evidence my reservoirs are leaking which means the new wicks I used transferred 2 - 3 litres of water over into my soil in a matter of an hour or even less...No wonder I thought the reservoirs were leaking by water on the ground? It was simply the transfer rate ....Maybe polypropylene rope did work but it showed no evidence of wicking in the test I did although some wicks felt like they were drawing water yet others didn't....Never mind I will use another wicking material and see how it goes ....I think I am looking at a transfer rate from reservoir to soil of at least 7 days (per fill) if that would supply a plant along with my 7 - 10 day fertilizer watering...

Its like most things I do ..Trial and error but your comments are certainly valued ..I would never have thought that the transfer rate would have been what I now know it must be and the reason the wicks are dry is because there is no water left to transfer ....Lesson learnt...

Thanks Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote