View Single Post
Old July 6, 2018   #48
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

How did we both get 108!!! How random. Actually I got 109, one was a double, I forgot about that. But still, haha. I think if I grew more than one kind it would be too much thinking to cook with!

We hung them last night. I had six broken wrappers, not just the two I noticed while pulling quickly under threat of thunder. I'm really glad I got them in...it rained hard yesterday evening/night, then absolutely poured again tonight around 6pm, and is supposed to be heavy tomorrow in spurts - 1"-3" localized.

I do have another small section garlic planted in spring, just because I had a huge bag of tiny bulbs to eat, and some were starting to sprout, so I threw them in about a 4 sq foot patch. The scapes were later on them, and smaller, but I'll probably pick them sometime next week or two.

It's going to be a different world now when it comes to size. This crop was grown from the largest/best cloves from the walking stuff last year. The biggest bulbs were probably a few at 1.5", and most of the seed stock was from smaller. This year a good bit are 2"+. Next year I can only think the harvest will be another jump in size.

I took these pics of the last 1020 tray last night, with the 6 broken wrappers, the rounds to small cloves, and the bulbils to rounds. The last pic is the bag from last year I'm still digging through while cooking. By now it's the smallest stuff from last year. When a recipe calls for a clove, I use a bulb. Pain in the butt to peel, but it taste great. I hope this big stuff taste the same. I have yet to have a chance to look at that website to try to ID. Thist is pretty much what they look like, and from the searching I did last summer, I started calling it purple stripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlic070418_15.jpg (576.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg garlic070418_16.jpg (545.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg garlic070418_17.jpg (475.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg garlic070418_18.jpg (396.2 KB, 81 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote