View Single Post
Old May 4, 2015   #11
FredB
Tomatovillian™

I have a cucumber variety (WI 5207 BWR) that carries the BW gene for resistance to bacterial wilt. It is an oriental type, dark green, bumpy skin, bitter-free, 11" X 3". It also resists most common leaf diseases. The ancestry is 31/32 WI 5207 (a breeding line from U Wisc.), 1/64 PI 200815, and 1/64 Poona Kheera. The BW resistance comes from PI 200815, a land-race discovered in Burma by USDA plant explorers back in the 1950s. The variety has been self-crossed 9 times now, so I'm sure it's stable. I get bacterial wilt every year without fail, and this variety keeps on going when non-resistant varieties have shriveled away to nothing. Contact me if you'd like a sample.

By the way, the commercial variety County Fair 87 Hybrid carries the same BW gene. It worked OK for me, although I prefer a slicer rather than a pickler. It's carried by a few seed companies, for instance, Gurney's, Jung, Vermont Bean. It was the subject of a Tomatoville thread a while ago.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12988

Several other varieties mentioned in the above thread are bitter-free and won't attract cucumber beetles as much, but they don't have the actual BW gene for resistance and they will eventually get the disease, maybe a week or two later than bitter varieties. Believe me, I've tried them.

Fred
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote