View Single Post
Old March 5, 2018   #9
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

February 26th - February 28th

• Monday and Tuesday were nice so I putsed around in the yard. I had the dogs out in the yard and noticed a problem using one of my new strategies, which was to use no till practices. Well it appears the dogs like to eat the rabbit poop on top of the beds so I had to turn in the first couple inches of soil. I guess it's not really tilling but would rather leave the beds alone completely. This is going to be a problem because I get the rabbit manure and bedding almost weekly and toss directly in the bed.
  • Wednesday I planted some comfrey cuttings that were sent to me from a fellow gardener, Thanks LittleJo. I removed the cardboard from the upper beds and was pleased to find worms right at the top, in between the soil and cardboard. I setup most of my cages in the upper raised beds. Thursday I found a bag of Chia Seeds that had a pantry moth in it so I took the seeds and broadcast seeded the Koi Pond Hugelkultur bed and seeded the yard.
  • Thursday morning and the Chia Seeds were all jelled up, lol

March 1st - March 5th

• Friday was like the apocalypse, driving home, trees were blowing over, branches were flying off the trees hitting my windshield, water mains were broken and water was gushing from the ground leaving a muddy mess everywhere, even in some folks homes, traffic lights were out and power was out all over.

• The Maypop plants are growing like crazy, if I had known germination was going to be this quick, I would have planted them a few weeks later. The Maypops will need to be up potted to 1 gallon pots and need a support, real soon.

• The Lovage germinated 3/1 (12 days) the rest of the seeds germinated a few days later.

Some of the peppers germinated.
  • Emerald GiantMarch 1st (5 days)
  • Giant Marconi March 3rd (7 days)

• Ruby King and Jalapeno March 2nd (6 days)

I planted some Eggplants and herbs

• 3/3 Black Beauty
  • 3/3 Fengyuan
  • 3/3 Listade De Gandia
  • 3/3 Unknown Farm Eggplant
  • 3/3 Sweet Basil
  • 3/3 My Licorice Basil
  • 3/3 Parsley

I don't expect the unknown eggplant to germinate, the seeds were tiny and I am pretty sure the seeds weren't mature. I'm just trying to grow the Fengyuan and Unknown eggplant to replenish my seed stock.

• Waltham Broccoli getting up potted. So it appears that they were not damping off, it's just how they grow I guess. Maybe the garage was too warm?

The broccoli will be planted outside in 2 weeks.

• The imperial Star and Green Globe Artichokes are all doing well, I up potted some of these once but a few will most likely need 1 gallon containers soon.

The family took a road trip Sunday to a feed store and I picked up 50 pounds of oats for cover crops, when I got home I decreased the temperature in the garage to about 60°F. I also started watering the plants with collected rainwater and adding some diluted fertz every few waterings.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote