View Single Post
Old October 22, 2017   #34
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Ron I have read through this and I can help with one of your questions.
It is about the fan and airflow.
You presumed they dont need airflow while sleeping.
Yes they do and plants dont sleep.
One nasty stuff grows in the dark and plants grow in the dark.
They store energy from light and will grow over night.
In my opinion plants need a fan all the time.

The other advice is you are mixing methods you cant do that many times.

Where you live you would have better luck getting a penguin that you would good gardening stuff.
Learn how to use what you have.
Best of luck and great job.

Worth
Thanks ...I see I did add "or do they"....The fans have lights on them so hopefully I can switch them off and keep the fans going so that the wee blokes get plenty of air flow while they are sleeping and no light....every night I go through the seeds I am trying to germinate to see if there is any sign of a root...belatedly I now realise why I had so many problems last year with propagating ...Its got to be the seeds.... I bought from the same source this season and because I am now germinating on a paper towel one quickly realises after 2 - 3 days chances of roots appearing is basicly nil......I am still hoping after 10-14 days ??? Never again ...I hope that I can get a few more varieties to propagate and then get my own seed bank from this seasons crop...What I will do is ask the "neighbourhood online"..maybe somebody has some seeds ..I am particularly interested in growing a Better Boy....that will go through the roof...??

I think my electrical friend has miscalulated on achieving a constant 10 degrees C in my chamber but I think this can maybe put right by buying a thing used in brewing ....

I know that the Tasty toms will be ready for me in the future ...If they are the same as earlier this year they will be over 1/2 a metre tall with fruit and flowers already on them and all I do is hand the money over....put them in a drum each and look after them and grab the odd lateral to grow more......I get jealous not knowing how they can grow magnificent plants like this .I read the "secret" was the "hardening off"and this is why I did research and decided to make a growth chamber for myself that could give my seedlings the same conditions that growers use although no doubt they would use a big cool room....

I just wonder what I would be like without my Tomatoes...Probably shrivel up and fall over...Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote