View Single Post
Old September 12, 2013   #50
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Thanks for posting. And thanks for the thread as well - all that enthusiasm convinced me to try it, even though we're not big salsa eaters.

They all seemed to seal overnight. This was my first time canning, and I was a little concerned when three of the first batch popped fairly early and three were still up at the time of my post. I used about 1/4" +. Our old ball book guide is from before salsa was popular in the US I guess; no mention of salsa anywhere. I was going with 1/4" for tomato purees and such.

After I posted here, I did an internet search and practically every salsa I found was 15 min water bath, and either 1/4" or 1/2", so I stopped worrying about it.

The salsa is pretty good. I left out the cilantro... We have a pot of it but the smell reminds me of those nasty asian stinkbugs that showed up ten years back. Sometimes I like it, but then I'll hit a hot spot of cilantro and want to gag. So I left it out altogether.

It turned out a little expensive having to buy canned sauce, paste, coleman fuel($5 for the ~1/2 gal used), and lime juice ($1.65/cup real lime). By my math it was $35 for the consumables + garden tomatoes to can 24 pints. I really don't think we'd like it as much with vinegar like the original Annie's. Each batch I made a little different hot pepper wise.

I'll keep my eyes open for a good pot to use on the stovetop. I love the idea of canning like this but it would go smoother to do it all inside.

JR
Jr, I used to go to Costco and look for lime juice..I could buy a case for what 5 bottles would have cost me! Somebody else said Sams Club was way cheaper also... Same deal with paste/sauce...always on the lookout for "case lot" sales so that I would have it when i needed it!

I did not like the vinegar recipe at all...it overwhelmed the tomatoes and lacked any hint of freshness.

As you subsequently make this recipe, you will tweak it for what you prefer...some like it way hotter and others want almost no heat, some like more onions, etc.

I am glad you like it and I am sure it will become a favorite. It is a nice all-around salsa that most people seem to appreciate.

I forgot to add that about 3 years ago there was a world-wide shortage of lime juice...I ended up having to drive 90 miles to get any!