View Single Post
Old October 25, 2016   #3
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for your reply - and the tip for Walmart's seed rack.

No, I don't grow the modern Jerseys or modern Marys. I just have the heirloom Mary. Now, I did harvest seeds from my heirloom Marys for the first time this year (wow...2-8 seeds per red berry!). So I'll plant a few more of those.

And, I found a little patch of huge fat asparagus growing on an old farm from past decades so I picked those berries and harvested seeds. I'm going to grow those seeds out to see what variety that is (probably Mary...but we'll see).

And I *finally* found one of the oldest asparagus varieties from the 1800s: Connover's Colossal. It hasn't been grown in America in decades but it's still commonly grown in England. So I bought some Connover's Colossal seed and will start those in February. It'll be fun to compare an 1800's variety vs a 1900's variety in this millenium! Gardening IS fun!

Again, thank your the tip of Martha...now I'm on the pursuit for Mary & Martha's brother, Waltham Washington. Someone, somewhere has crowns or seeds...I just need to find that person.

Take care,

Steve
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote