View Single Post
Old July 28, 2014   #5
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I don't think any generalizations are possible , to answer your question.

There are so many varieties, about close to maybe 12 K available to the public, which makes it impossible.

I'd say first look at some pictures of the varieties you're growing, either at Tania's website, or Google, so you know what ripe ones should look like.

But some will be soft when ripe, some won't be,some will have green shoulders, some won't.

When there are several fruits on a truss and you see different stages of ripeness, try some of the fruits to see which ones you like best.

I think what it comes down to is the more varieties you grow, and the more experience you gain, the better you'll be able to make some judgements about ripeness and taste for each variety.

Carolyn
I'm sure that's true, but I'm trying to cheat a little.

My other big question is, how much difference is one day of ripeness going to make in the "true" taste of almost any variety? As I mentioned in my original post, some we tasted once and then sampled another one a week or so later that seemed just barely more ripe, and the taste difference was marked. I'm just wondering if I now need to go back and taste again all those other varieties we tasted and weren't terribly impressed with, even though they had a good reputation, to see if that one day of ripeness really made that much more difference?
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote