View Single Post
Old November 13, 2014   #42
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm ready now, too, Tom. Picked and ate the beans last night and I planted my shallots about two weeks ago. I still have Brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale, collards, chicory, winter radishes, turnips, beets and carrots out there but that should all be okay for now. Even if we have a winter like we did last year, I think the kale would be fine. I try to keep things going into January and then do a big clean out. I add mushroom compost in February and start all over again in March. I've received one seed catalog so far, and though it's not a company I use for seed, it does have me thinking about next year already.

Last night with dinner we had roasted carrots and parsnips and the parsnips were from the store. I'd like to try growing them next year. I understand it's difficult to get the seed going but once it does, it gets easier. I think I am supposed to plant in the spring and let them grow all summer and then pull them and eat them in the fall. If anyone has experience with parsnips, I'd be interested in hearing how you grow them. Thanks.