View Single Post
Old August 2, 2018   #24
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I enjoyed your experiments. Just replying because of your mention of Spring Treat. We grew Spring Treat for some years and liked it, then tried Bodacious (and some of its near relatives like Ambrosia).
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been thinking about Bodacious or maybe a bi-color like Honey and Cream to do one year in place of the Silver Queen just to mix things up a bit.

Spring Treat was chosen for two reasons. First, it will germinate in cooler soil so I can plant it earlier. Second, it's in the 65-67 day finish range where the others are in the 75 day range. This is important because I want to get the following second variety planted so it won't cross pollinate with the Spring Treat but will still finish before it gets too darned hot. They almost cross pollinated this year! Will add another week before planting the second variety next spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Most of ours goes as fast as we can move it from garden to boiling water ten minutes to ice water ten minutes to collander drain, to flat tray in deep freeze...
Over the years we've experimented with a ton of different ways to freeze corn but for us it tastes best when blanched on the cob, ice bathed, cut off the cob, tray-frozen and bagged for the freezer. But that's a big area of discussion among folks, kind of like which mayo tastes best. LOL!

And as a convenient side effect, it takes up a whole lot less freezer space. Gotta have room for bags of green peas, field peas, okra, sliced peppers, etc too in the veg section. The rest is full of meat, etc.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote