View Single Post
Old January 4, 2017   #5
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
This is a great article, easy to understand for the layperson thank you for posting it.
I post it from time to time when it seems appropriate. ;-)

Quote:
I am interested in the opaque red high lycopene skin trait. A clear epidermis pink skinned yellow cherry appeared in a potato leaf F2 selection of one of my crosses. Marsha is growing out the F3 and the coloration has come through in the F3 as well. It looks like the photo in the article except once ripe the skin on our tomato is a bright dark apricot pink.
This sort of trait seems to keep cropping up. It is outside the norm for what is published about tomato color genetics, which keeps making me find it interesting.

Quote:
I initially thought it was a bicolour as the color begins as s blush on the blossom end but does not extend into the interior. The blush continues to develop until the whole exterior becomes pink.
That sort of progressive color development reminds me of a trait I sometimes see in fruit of the variety "White Tomasol".

Quote:
Would you look at the KARMA project thread and tell me if you think this is the explanation for the color of this cherry.
I'll have a look and see what I can make of it.