View Single Post
Old December 11, 2017   #8
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. I mostly start my own plants from seed indoors, but have also tried store bought plants, and didn't notice a difference. I have no idea about minerals in the water... we're on city water. I will be getting a soil test done, so that might shed some light.

I do know the biggest cattle producer in the area, but that doesn't help, lol. My eyes bugged out when I saw they had mountains of manure all over, and quickly inquired on getting some. I was told I could have all I want, but that I didn't want to put any on my garden. I was like, "huh?" Apparently, they treat their pastures with a broadleaf herbicide, and that herbicide lives through the digestive process of the cattle, so that the manure contains it. I was told that the manure was great for lawns, but would kill every plant in the garden. So much for that idea, lol.

Well there is definitely no shortage of leaves here, so it sounds like that might be my answer. I actually wasn't sure if leaves were good for the garden or not. Last year I did mulch the plants with leaves. Sounds like I need to get some worked into the soil. Good to know you can't use to many... sounds like I got my work cut out for me once all this Christmas baking is done.

Thanks again everyone.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote