View Single Post
Old June 11, 2018   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default The Standard of Perfection

I've been following AMmark's posts and seeing his unfathomable success in growing tomatoes for the past few years and it finally dawned on me to compare what I'm doing to what he's doing...thanks to his generous sharing of his growing details. At first I just thought I'd try this or that like he does to see how it worked for me. Well, I had mediocre success being a copycat with no attention to details. Somewhere he mentioned his PH and other chemical guidelines and how closely he monitors them. Shoot! I knew I had akaline water with a pretty high PH but I never measured it. When Mark said he had many PC pens it occurred to me that I ought to at least have one and check out where I am compared to him. Well I got a PH pen last year but didn't even know how to calibrate it. After seeing his latest crop I went to a local hydro store and learned how to calibrate mine in hopes of getting closer to his results. I grow outdoors in containers and in the ground and in raised beds. I realize I will never have the marvelous quality or production he has, but if I achieved half of what he does I would be king of the crop around my parts.

Turns out my local city water has a PH of 7.4. Since I'm not hydroponic I'm still not messing with EC or other things besides the chlorine and chloramine at this time. I only now started dechlorinating my water and adjusting my PH to the 6.0 range. Interestingly, Worth suggested some tablespoons of vinegar to lower PH so I compared how much vinegar it takes to lower PH compared to phosphoric acid. One tablespoon of white vinegar lowers PH as much as 1/2 teaspoon of Phosphoric acid. I adjusted a 2 gal watering can from 7.4 PH to 5.9 with one tablespoon of vinegar. That's pretty cool. I really don't know if there are other effects from vinegar compared to phosphoric acid. I'll find out as I compare them in my plant treatments. Now that I have a Standard of Perfection to compare my details to I will continue to strive to achieve what Mark does. I hope to be sending leaves for analysis as he does, but I'm not quite there yet.

These are the kinds of details and effort it takes to excel and I'm only now realizing how much more I have to do to get excellent results. I am extremely grateful to AKmark and Tomatoville for making this info available.

I'm testing the 4-18-38, CANO3, and MGSO4, with 6.0 PH and dechlorinated water on a Sweet Ozark Orange tomato plant, and a Numex Lemon Spice pepper and a Rocotillo pepper plant to see what difference that makes compared to my other plants getting Tomato-tone and aquarium water. I use some Flora Nova Grow on them, too. We'll see what happens.

Here's a shot of the three test plants at this point, all recovering from severe hail damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 061118 SOO.jpg (375.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 061118 lemon spice.jpg (324.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 061118 rocotillo.jpg (365.2 KB, 100 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote