View Single Post
Old March 16, 2012   #28
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I am sooooo excited.

Part of my story is a repeat........

I have wanted Chou Daubenton a perennial cabbage for two years. It rarely puts out seeds and has to be propogated by cuttings.

A friend sent me some cuttings from the UK but they diidn't make it....

I bought plants in France,had them sent to my son in Holland who sent them to me, they took ages and were in a very bad state, we babied them and finally got them into the ground last year but I guess they were not strong enough as they diidn;t make it. I was gutted.
I am a member of HSL, the UK seed savers. We can''t buy seeds through them as such but with our membership we get 6 packets of seeds free. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the Daubenton offered. We have to choose 6 vareties of seeds and give a 2nd and 3rd choice, then we wait with fingers croseed to see if we get our first choice. Knowing how rare these seeds are I didn't hold my breath but....I got them !!!

Then it is said that even if the plant makes seed it is often not viable so the pressure stays on. I sowed them 2 weeks ago and I got super germination . They have just been potted on so feel safe now

I can't believe I am finally growing them.

Just a cabbage.....................but I am so excited that this rare French plant will be joining my perennial veggies garden.

I also ordered fruit bushes this week. Blackcurrants, Blueberries, Redcurrants, Gooseberries,Raspberries and also Strawberries and Asparagus. The rhubarb I grew fron seed two years ago has formed good tubers so it looks as though the fruit garden will be complete this year, there is already a big grapevine there and I am sowing my Rampsons around the base of it as they like to be under s trees I am told..

XX Jeannine

Just for the record, when my Daubenton plants are big enough I will take cuttings and have no problem sending them into the US if anyone wants them. I know how hard it is to get some things and have every intention of sharing my Daubenton around.

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; March 16, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Exatra info
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote