Thread: Kurume Eggplant
View Single Post
Old September 28, 2013   #1
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

Default Kurume Eggplant

Just thought of sharing my eggplant growing here. I wanted a fast bearing eggplant and chose this variety, the Kurume. Seeds are probably from Japan and I wasn't sure how well it would grow in region 9.
There is a trick to accelerating growth, which is just a plastic covering around the planter. To compare growth, I planted some seeds in an open container, shown in photo 1. Photo 2 shows seeds planted in a covered container. They were planted 5 weeks ago. Quite a difference. The covering is removed when plants are about 2 feet tall.
Photo 3 shows plants that were also grown in covered containers 4 months ago. They have been bearing fruits for a month now. Photo 4 shows plants that are now 9 months old, and they are still bearing fruits.
The Kurume eggplants are supposed to be about 9 inches long, but I am getting fruits that vary from 4 to 10 inches long. They take about 2 weeks to get to picking stage. I've been picking them and cooking them three times a week. Makes a great side dish at dinner.
Egpnt5w1.jpg

Egplnt5w.jpg

Egplnt4m.jpg

Egplnt9m.jpg

Kurume1day.jpg

Last edited by HiPoha; September 28, 2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: add photo
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote