View Single Post
Old November 26, 2009   #11
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
This year was my first for trying to grow eggplant. So I did some research reading through the threads here, reading catalog descriptions, and started a thread where people gave opinions. Rosa Bianca was the one that stood out for me based on descriptions. Unfortunately, my eggplants did very poorly in the ground. Not to mention it was a very mild summer here. Eggplant like heat. I grew a few varieties and only got eggplant on a couple of plants. A dark one so I think it was Black Beauty. The darned squirrels took all but 2.

Someone started a thread saying they liked Listada de Gandia just as much as Rosa Bianca, and it was more productive for them. I'll be trying both in containers next year.

While posting this reply I can't see your location, but if you're in a northern state, you might want to try an early variety as well. I'm planning on trying Applegreen since it's so early and I believe productive.

Another one I want to try is Round Mauve. Just like the way it looks in the pictures. Supposedly it's productive as well.

I think it was me that started the thread about Listada de Gandia. I tried to keep count of how many I pulled. From my list, it looks like I got 75 fruits from 3 Listada de Gandia plants, (compared to 30 from 3 Rosa Bianca plants). I think that's pretty good for plants in the ground. The flavor and texture were great, and it is also very pretty with the purple and white stripes. The thread I started about it is still here, and I posted pictures in another thread that I titled "So Pretty."

Someone here gave me seeds for Louisianna Long Green, which was also very mild. I planted late that year though, so production could have been better, but it was my own fault, not the plant's. That is one of the long, slender varieties. It seemed to do pretty well once it got started good. Rosita is a larger variety I've tried that had good, mild flavor.

I also want to try Round Mauve. I may grow it next summer. It looks unusual and is reputed to be very productive.