View Single Post
Old November 11, 2012   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Darn, I just went to find a link and lost what I just started and on top of that either AOL or Verizon is having fun today b'c I keep losing my DSL line. Yes, I have a backup dial in but don't want to go there.

I first looked in the 2001 SSE YEarbook where I found someone from NYS listing it and saying seeds were from High Mowing in 2000. And said original seeds were from Teresa Gilbertie of Westport, CT. So I went to high Mowing and Tim just says he's been offering it since 1996.

So I went to my 1995 SSE Yearbook and found a listing for Gilbertie from someone in CT but the SSE code doesn't match Teresa Gilbertie herself, described it correctly and said it was an heirloom of Teresa Gilbertie of Westport, CT.

So she's the original source of seeds. You might ask Sal if he knew or knows a Teresa Gilbertie who was growing tomatoes in that time frame.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14508

Above is a link to a thread about Mortgage Lifters here at Tville. I don't see any conflict at all between the Estler one and the Radiator Charlie one.

There's lots of documentation, newspaper articles, etc., presence of the Estler one in Australia, to show that the Estler one was from the 1920's.

The only documentation for Charlie Byles is what he told Jeff McCormack when Jeff interviewed him and that's the story that has been oft repeated.

Notice that I posted in the above thread quite recently.

There may be another thread about Mortgage Lifters in the Legacy Forum, I didn't take the time to look, but all of them would have said the same as the above one, that is, the Estler one came several years before the Charlie Byles one.

And you'll see that I chimed in whenever the Estler one was mentioned since I knew the Estler info from what had been sent to Chuck Wyatt. and I don't remember where, but someplace there are links to the newpaper articles, etc.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Carolyn