View Single Post
Old January 9, 2017   #11
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

I grew Jalafuego Jalapeño peppers last year, they were VERY prolific, in fact I still have the plant that did the best in a pot in my utility room under lights. I brought it inside to grow the last ten peppers a little larger and riper. I must have had 40 or more peppers over the summer/fall and I started the seeds very late for zone 4b! Its an F1 and I got my seeds from Botanical Interests. They're also larger than the standard Jalapeño peppers I've grown so perfect for stuffing and grilling. Its a variety I will be growing every year i think.

I also never had much luck with growing peppers until I started growing them exclusively in pots. I think they like the extra heat on their roots.
I've found too that with hot peppers especially in this zone I have to have large plants to put out to get a decent harvest. I will be starting my hot peppers 16 weeks from last frost this year to get a jump on things. (Someone else does that and pinches the tops after six leaves to get a bushy plant. I'm going to try it!)

I'm still figuring out sweet peppers. Pinot Noir F1 is delicious, pretty, and does very well for me in pots. Sweet banana does well too. I've just ordered Roumanian Rainbow and Yum Yum mix to try this year along with Pinot Noir. I'm going to try starting them at 14, 12, and 10 weeks from last frost (eggplants on the same time frame) for a jump ahead and to see what works best. 10 weeks is what I usually do and in a long warm fall that does okay but I think older plants will do even better. I'm also going to try moving one of each kind of pepper indoors under lights (maybe prune them back a bit?) because second year plants of most peppers are supposed to crop earlier and more heavily.

Hope some of that helps.

Edited to add: I grow my peppers and eggplants on a concrete patio next to my driveway. The more heat the better it seems! Also that helps with cold nights. I was picking peppers until November this year.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com

Last edited by MissMoustache; January 9, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote