View Single Post
Old October 13, 2017   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I read part of it Scott.
Nice.
What I do know is many of the big farmers are caught in a trap they cant get out of.
The other is the Indians used to do a lot of burning in this country they dont do anymore from coast to coast.
Those great plains were a man made hunting ground to a very large extent.
Still kills me to think of all that soil that blew away.

Worth
Yes and is still blowing away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Scott, congratulations! Yes, I must say that you have been very busy. I wondered what you have been up to and missed seeing your posts. You have been working VERY hard. I have been using some of your methods and have seen wonderful results. I have learned even more with this article. While it is a hard sell, I hope that enough people become exposed to this way of thinking to give a small portion of their land a try with it. I think that they would be surprised.

Being published is a good beginning.
Thanks for the kind words. I have a plan to do that exact thing by training new young interns and teaching them to make a living on a small corner of their parents or grandparents farm. This way to not interfere with the family operation, but make sure the new generation can get in and make a living too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Scott, nice work putting this all together.
I am a Soil Conservationist with NRCS,...
It took a long time to set up the system and get to here. How do you stop a battleship on a dime and do a 180?
My deepest respect to you. I do have the business model and the plan to do exactly that, turn the beast 180. But for it to work I need to do proof of concepts on both the business plans and the production models at mechanized commercial scale. And who knows? The proof of concepts may prove me wrong. It can happen. But I can see it. And if I can see it, it means usually that there is a way to do it. All starts with the idea of teaching a new batch of interns these methods once successful and getting them set up to succeed just outside the metropolitan areas of every major city so we can integrate a retail "truck farm" type operation and CSAs. But linking them without brick and mortar infrastructure. We can use the internet in a similar way Amazon has, but combined with the farmers co-op business model to market and brand in a competitive way, but much more profitable for the farmer and far far more efficient and resilient than centralized industrial models. I know I can build it once I get it started. The problem of course is getting the funding for that first proof of concept so that later armed with that we can get capital to flow into the project. And unfortunately I have raised exactly 10 dollars so far. Look Here So most people seem to still think the task is impossible I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
An excellent and informative read that is well worth the time to follow the links to build background. Truly a huge amount of info to digest, but this is both encouraging and enlightening. Thanks for your work and posting it here in T'ville, I probably would not seen it or taken the time to read it otherwise.
Thanks for the kind words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Very interesting, Scott!

I was not aware of the carbon sequestering power of the C4 grasses (and glomus allies). A very different take on grassland.

I know Pure Harvest is right about entrenched interests at the table, but we still need our optimists, to be the first to point the way. You may get nothing personally for your heroic efforts, but if change comes in the end, when bigger 'stakeholders' see a way to profit from it, it is still worth while!
Exactly! You apparently can read my mind. And yes, pretty sure still to this day even 99% of climate and soil scientists still haven't worked out the power of what it all means. I know when I finally connected the dots I was floored for a long time. We all tend to exist in our silos or cubicals if you will. Seldom do we get a chance to climb out and peer around a bit. But in this case when I did it was well worth it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; October 13, 2017 at 02:19 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote