View Single Post
Old May 9, 2023   #418
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have now removed my first victim of TSWV from my second bed of tomatoes set out on 4/11/23. I have two others on a close watch that are showing some of the earliest signs of TSWV and expect to be removing a few more in the next couple of days. Two days ago I sprayed all my tomatoes and bell peppers with a Permethrin and copper spray to hopefully ward off some of the few pests I have seen and keeping my fingers crossed.

I am getting good fruit set so far especially from my first tomatoes I set out back in the third week of March and my second bed is really starting to take off. My bell peppers have now gotten large enough for me to stop removing blooms and allow some peppers to start making and I now have a good number of fruits on some of my plants.

My first okra started in cups are now starting to pop up as the temperature is getting into the 90s nearly every day now. I have pulled up my first large row of Willet Wonder peas after picking them clean. They have been very productive so far and I have two short rows of them still left to make a few more. I have a bed of cucumbers planted with approximately 25 pickling and 5 Sweet Success varieties. I am going to try growing them on strings with the lean and lower method keeping the suckers removed and see how that works for me this spring.

I just ordered three gallons of TTF and one gallon of Vegetable formula from Urban Farms and am looking forward to upping my fruit set by adding it to my feeding regimen as soon as it arrives.

My son in Mobile is a bit ahead of me due to the slightly warmer and wetter spring down there and he has been plagued with flea beetles which are just starting to show up here first in my green beans. Since they love cucumbers I expect I will be seeing them soon on my plants now that they are in the ground. My blueberry plants are looking good and I got another bag of Holly-Tone and hopefully will be able to side dress them with it this week and water it in well.

We are now starting to get a bit too dry here now and could use a good rain but none seems imminent on the near-term forecast.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote