View Single Post
Old August 10, 2015   #8
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swardson View Post
You could go with any type really except russet if you want to use them boiled. As long as the potato isn't too starchy you're good to go. I usually get yellows flesh potatoes so my experience has been with Yukon Gold and Yellow Finn.

But why don't you get potatoes from a local market and plant those? I'm not sure if there are local varieties where you are but they are sure to be grown closer to you than something near Oregon.
If I could find find a good tasting potato here,I would do just that.Trouble is,there isn't much choice that I have been able to find locally..I keep my eyes open when we visit a different market location,but I just don't seem to find anything different than what is available at our local market.When I say local market,I mean that is where all the produce in the area is available,as well as produce from the fields in Baguio.Vegetable retailers buy produce from Baguio,and then mark it up and re-sell it.The market is like a farmers market,except that most of it is covered and out of the weather,but still open air.Very few varietal choices.In fact,up until about 3 years ago,you couldn't even find lettuce in the market.

I will ask my Sis to check out her local Farmers Market.If she sees any fingerlings,I'll ask her to pick up some of each.Maybe a standard variety as well.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; August 10, 2015 at 09:26 AM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote